What is the IFAPP Academy-King’s College London, Medical Affairs in Medicines Development, Certification Program?
The program is a unique partnership between academia, industry, and professional associations aimed to foster competencies and improving performance in medical affairs and medicines development. It is anchored by a strategic collaboration between IFAPP (International Federation of Associations of Pharmaceutical Physicians and Pharmaceutical Medicine) and King’s College London, one of the world’s leading research and teaching universities based in the heart of London.
This modular program is offered through IFAPP Academy’s state-of-the-art online classroom. The program is taught entirely online with a global faculty comprising experts in all disciplines within pharmaceutical medicine.
Graduates of the course who later wish to apply for, and are accepted into, an MSc at King’s College London in either Drug Development Science or Medical Affairs, will be awarded credit transfers for 30 credits and 60 credits respectively (out of a total 180).
IMPORTANT NOTE: To be eligible to receive academic credits from King’s College London, students must complete the program application through this dedicated page. To view the application click the ‘Apply Now’ tab or https://ifappacademy.org/kcl-applicants/#apply-now
All students successfully completing the course will receive a Certificate granted by King’s College London and IFAPP Academy and a Professional Certification granted by IFAPP and the IFAPP Academy. The use of post-nominal letters (CMD) to attest certification will be awarded.
How the Certification Program works:
To earn a Medical Affairs in Medicines Development Certificate, you must successfully complete and pass 6 Modules made up of 10 lessons each and an End of Program Assessment.
|2 Lessons per Week =||8-14 hours per week
· Online Lecture
· Post Lecture Assignments
· Discussion Forum Participation
|10 Lessons =||1 Module|
|6 Modules (60 lessons) + End of Program Assessment (EPA) = Certified in Medicines Development (CMD)|
How much time should I plan to invest?
You will need to be self-directed, self-motivated, and well-organized in your studies and in completing your course work. The Professional Certification Program requires approximately:
- 8-14 hours per week
- 40-70 hours per Module
- 240-420 hours for the IFAPP Medical Affairs in Medicines Development Certificate
Each lesson typically requires 4-7 hours, depending on the assignments due for the week. This time can vary depending on study habits, note-taking habits, and familiarity with topics. Two lessons are released each week.
Some assignments will have due dates that will need to be monitored by the student, including final exam dates.
- Completion of Online Lectures (Asynchronous): 2 one-hour lectures per week. Students are free to view lectures at their convenience. Two lectures are released each week for five weeks. For full credit, students must complete ten lectures during the six-week period dedicated to that Module (approx. 2 hrs/wk).
- Post-Lecture Assignments: Following the lectures, you will engage in forum discussions and other learning activities to reinforce and expand on each week’s topic. In some cases, you will also be required to pass an assessment. Your contributions to the Discussion Forum will be assessed (approx. 1-2 hrs/wk).
- Webinar/Tutorials with Live Participation (Synchronous): Students must attend the webinar during specified dates and times. Please check your Classroom Calendar and Weekly Announcements to make a note of the required dates and times. Your participation in the webinars will be assessed (approx. 1 hr/wk).
- Optional additional materials for select lessons
- Final Module Exam (Synchronous): The final step in completing a Module will be to complete the Multiple-Choice Questionnaire (MCQ) examination. This assessment will be offered online at specific dates and times. Students will be given a 24-hour window, during which time they must log in to the classroom, to complete the exam. Once a student begins the exam, they will have one hour to complete it. The exam must be completed within the 24-hour window of availability. (approx. 1 hr/wk)
If you’re a medical affairs or biomedical professional responsible for creating strategies, communicating, and generating value in the medicines development process aiming to improve patient outcomes and leveraged healthcare, then this certification is the right choice for you.
- Graduate/postgraduate education in biomedical sciences
- At least one year of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Willingness to grow in the Medical Affairs function
- Proven command of the English language
- Able to spend at least 8-14 h weekly for home study
- Able to participate in synchronous webinars (4 per module – 6 Modules total per year)
IFAPP Academy Timeline
The Module timeline for the 2022 cohort, beginning January 2022, will be released by September 2021.
|2021 Academic year began||January 2021|
|2021 Cohort Orientation Week||January 4, 2021 – January 10, 2021|
|Module 1||January 11, 2021 – February 21, 2021|
|Module 2||February 22, 2021 – April 4, 2021|
|Module 3||April 5, 2021 – May 16, 2021|
|Module 4||May 17, 2021 – June 27, 2021|
|Module 5||June 28, 2021 – August 8, 2021|
|IFAPP Academy accepting student applications for 2022.||July 5, 2021|
|4-week Summer Recess (no academic activities)||August 9, 2021 – September 5, 2021|
|Module 6||September 6, 2021 – October 17, 2021|
|Module 7 (optional module): Leadership in Medical Affairs||October 18, 2021 – November 28, 2021|
|Final Assessments for Certification of 2021 Student Cohort||October 25, 2021 – December 12, 2021|
|Applications due for the 2022 Cohort, Medical Affairs in Medicines Development Certification Program||December 6, 2021|
|*All dates are subject to change|
IFAPP Academy Tuition Fees
IFAPP Academy/Kings College London Certification Program Preferred Tuition Fee: $8,6001 for King’s College London invited applicants only
1To qualify for this preferred rate, students must provide a personal invitation code from King’s College London.
Questions? Or for more information please email IFAPP Academy at email@example.com
IFAPP Academy Applications (for King’s College London Applicants and Alumni only*)
Those interested in applying, for the Medical Affairs in Medicines Development Certification Program should complete and submit the below application. Application deadline: December 6th, 2021.